If you are following a keto diet, it is important to have easy meal prep ideas that are low-carb, high-fat and contain highly nutritious vegetables. Here are two tasty keto recipes for you to try:
Supreme Green Bean Casserole
This popular side dish is something many Americans serve during the holidays. The original recipe calls for staples found in most pantries such as canned green beans, canned French fried onions, canned condensed chicken or vegetable soup, soy sauce, flour, and milk – none of which are low-carb or gluten-free.
This Supreme Green Bean Casserole recipe uses fresh green beans, bacon, and a home-made cheese sauce.
- 1 pound of trimmed green beans flash-cooked in boiling water for two minutes and drained.
- 1/3 pound of bacon chopped and cooked
- 2 ounces of minced onion
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1 T minced parsley
- 1 t lemon zest
- 1 t Dijon mustard
- 1 t Worcestershire sauce
- ¾ cup of chicken broth
- 1/3 cup of dry white wine
- 6 ounces of cream cheese
- 3 ounces of cheddar cheese
- Place the green beans into a buttered casserole dish together with the bacon
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and fry the minced onion in bacon drippings for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another two minutes. Turn down the heat and add the lemon zest, parsley, and wine and simmer for two to three minutes to reduce the alcohol.
- Break the cream cheese into small chunks and add to the pan to melt. Simmer on low heat for a few minutes to thicken slightly. Add the Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, and cheddar cheese while whisking to blend the ingredients.
- Pour the sauce over the green beans and mix well.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until bubbly around the sides.
Instant Pot Chicken Cacciatori
This Italian style chicken dish is made in an Instant Pot but can also be done on the stove top or in a slow cooker. It is loaded with chunky, hearty chicken, onions, tomatoes, peppers and some mushrooms too. Skip the carbs altogether by serving it over roasted spaghetti squash or cauliflower mash or serve it over rice, polenta or gluten-free pasta.
- 6 chicken breasts – boneless
- 3 t. olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 white onion diced
- 1/4 cup red bell peppers diced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes
- 6 oz/ tomato paste
- 1 T. Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup kale chopped (remove stems)
- 2 T fresh parsley chopped
- Add salt and pepper to taste to chicken breasts
- Add olive oil to Instant Pot and use Saute button
- Sear until browned with a caramelized coating and remove from Instant Pot
- Replace inner pot and check oil and add more if needed.
- Saute the rest of the ingredients. Save some fresh parsley for garnish.
- Add the chicken when done sauteing
- Pressure cook high for 10 minutes then quick release
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley and some fresh basil if desired
Keto recipes are easy to make and are quite delicious. You can adjust many of your favorite dishes by eliminating any high-carb ingredients, processed foods or sugar and replacing them with lower carb options.